You just booked your photographer. You're getting the big details ironed out. The little details are falling into place. And now it's all getting real as you ponder what to wear for your engagement session. You know this is your one and only time to rock your engagement session. Your opportunity to get comfortable together in front of the camera, get to know your photographer and how they work, and look fantastic while doing it. If you're anything like I was, you may or may not be a little nervous about working the camera. Don't stress - I've got you covered girl! Read on for my top 5 tips to have the BEST time at your engagement session (and getting the best pictures ever):
1. Seize the day! // If you are able to, take the day (or, at least, the afternoon) off! This takes the stress off so you're not thinking about that unfinished task sitting on your desk or feeling rushed to leave work. I want you to ENJOY your engagement session, not just the pictures that result from it! If you are enjoying your time together, the pictures are going to be SO amazing, trust me!
2. Pamper yourself! // Now that you've taken the day off, take advantage of the opportunity to treat yo self! If you've already booked your hair and makeup artist, finding a day that works for you to get your makeup and/or hair trial (if you have an updo, you may want to hold off on your hair trial) done provides you a way to see what it looks like in pictures. Plus, it's just nice to be pampered! Hit the nail salon, get a massage...you do you and enjoy the day!
3. Make it a date! // Think of your engagement session as a date that you are letting your photographer tag along to. I'm there to have fun with you guys and capture your personalities - all the sides of your personality ;) (expect a little silliness). Spin in circles, jump in the water, walk on the train tracks, ride bicycles - be a kid again! Play music together, snuggle up by the water, have a mini picnic. Do what makes you happy! I love to have drinks (or coffee if that's more your thing) with my clients beforehand so we can get to know each other more and create some really authentic, fun memories for the two of you!
4. Be on time! // Cough cough, be early... If we are doing your session somewhere in downtown Charleston, for example, you probably already know that parking is a challenge. It's best to be early so this doesn't cut into your session time. Your engagement session is planned around sunset, so once that sun goes down and we lose the light, there's no getting it back! Being on time means you are able to get the most out of your session, all while feeling relaxed!
5. But what should we wear? // This is the number one thing I get asked regularly about portrait sessions, and part of the reason I decided to write this blog post. It's such a great question, and I love that my couples care enough about their photos to ask! So here goes:
- The biggest piece of advice that I would stress is wear what you feel amazing and comfortable in! Your photos are to show how much you love each other, so pick what represents you two best! What would you wear on a date normally? On a fun date, would you wear a beanie and skinny jeans, or a dress and wedges? Make it about what you two love.
- Patterns are okay! The main thing you want to remember is that the focus will be on your cuteness, so try to avoid neon colors, bold or chunky patterns (like chevron), and things with words or logos.
- Avoid being too matchy matchy. My least favorite photographs are the ones where everyone on the beach are wearing white polos and khaki pants. Anyone else with me? The reason is because it doesn't pop. It drowns everyone out, and everything becomes very uniform. Uniforms are for school and work, not for play ;) So wear outfits that compliment each other, not match perfectly.
If you have any questions about what to wear, I always tell my clients they can send me pictures in advance for help with outfit planning.
Most of all, HAVE FUN!